Hanukkah Night 8
We’ve finally arrived at the final night of our celebration. For 8 days we have kindled the lights, retold the story, remembered the miracles, and celebrated with our family and friends. Now we come to the final night, and the Menorah is now fully illuminated. On this night, we now light 8 candles on our Hanukkah Menorah. Once again first the Shamash (center) candle is lit, and operates as the servant candle to light the other 8 candles. The candles are then lit from the farthest right to the left (just like the Hebrew language is read from right to left). 8 candles in addition the Shamash candle now shine brightly!
Candle Lighting Blessing:
Barukh attah Adonai Eloheinu Melekh Ha’olam asher kideshanu bemitzvotav vetzivanu lehadlik ner shel Chanukah.
“Blessed art thou, Lord our God, King of the universe who sanctifies us with Thy commandments and commanded us to kindle the lights of Chanukah!”
Traditional Reading of Night 8: Numbers 7:54-8:4
Hanukkah is also a time where traditionally a lot of dairy is eaten, so on our final night we share a dairy recipe classic – New York Cheesecake!
- 1 1/4 cups HONEY MAID Graham Cracker Crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 5 (250 g) packages PHILADELPHIA Brick Cream Cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 1 (19 ounce) can cherry pie filling
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F if using a silver 9 inch springform pan (or to 300 degrees F if using a dark nonstick 9-inch springform pan). Mix crumbs and butter; press firmly onto bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Add sour cream; mix well. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing on low speed after each addition just until blended. Pour over crust.
- Bake 1 hour 10 minutes or until centre is almost set. Run knife or metal spatula around rim of pan to loosen cake; cool before removing rim of pan. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Top with pie filling before serving. Store leftover cheesecake in refrigerator.
Original Recipe found at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/philadelphia-new-york-cheesecake-iii/
“Happy Hanukkah” by Matisyahu